The Doctoral Sandwich Program is a customized four-month program designed to provide students pursuing doctoral degrees at Indonesian universities with access to current resources in the U.S. The program goal is to improve the quality of the students’ dissertation research.
The Doctoral Sandwich Program offered at USINTEC universities in the U.S. consists of the following components:
- Post-arrival orientations, campus tours, and working sessions related to on-line library system, J1 visiting scholar immigration status, living in the U.S., program activities, and program requirements
- Attendance in regular courses chosen by individual Doctoral Sandwich Program students in consultation with their faculty advisors and program staff
- A Doctoral Sandwich Program faculty advisor for each student who provides advice on students’ research designs and suggests library and other academic resources, courses to sit in on, and schools to visit
- A customized research seminar which includes faculty lectures and discussions in mixed methodologies, qualitative research, case study research, discourse analysis, classroom action research, and experimental and quasi experimental research as well as Doctoral Sandwich Program student presentations of their research proposals.
- Observations in local schools: elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, vocational-technical schools and career centers, alternative schools, charter schools, Islamic schools, and Catholic schools
- Field trips to local and national educational, cultural, and historical sites in the U.S.
- Regular program meetings with Doctoral Sandwich Program staff and individual academic support services